e hënë, 2 prill 2007

Unexpected News

(Minh Tuyet)
Marie To stood in the office that used to belong to her father's. It was her first day as C.E.O of Thuy Nga. She looked around at the many plaques and photographs of her father's many past achievements—from signing his very first artist to winning an award for the company's popular show "Paris by Night". She looked at the many mementos scattered everywhere and she thought to herself, "How can I fill his shoes? I don't think I can do this," she slumped into her seat with a loud sigh.

Marie looked at her schedule. This whole week she had been having meetings with all of Thuy Nga's singers, some were more open to her than others. She looked at the schedule again: two meetings with the company's latest singers today. The secretary came in,

"Um, Ms. To? Minh Tuyet is waiting for you outside"
She took a deep breath, "Ok, bring her in"
Minh Tuyet walked into the office and took a look around, Marie To greeted her as friendly as she could, "Hello Minh Tuyet, I'm happy to meet you"
She looked at Marie in surprise, "Where is Mr. To?"
Marie was used to the question by now and she explained that her father has passed away. Minh Tuyet slowly broke into tears. She took a seat and began to cry. Marie gave her a box of tissues.
"Yeah I know, I was sad when I received the news too"
"But why? He was fine the last time I met him!"
"I don't know"
Minh Tuyet buried her face into the clumps of tissues she was holding and wept. After a few minutes, she managed to pull herself together. Marie To walked back to her desk.
"Okay let me first introduce myself, I'm Marie To, his daughter and I'll be taking his place as C.E.O of the company"
Minh Tuyet sat there in silence, she thought it was some sick joke that they decided to play on her but Marie's serious face confirmed that she meant what she had said.
"Really?"
"Yes, so let's discuss business, first I would like to discuss about your career"
"Okay...what about it?"
"Well, you have completed three albums for us and they all sold very well, beyond the expectations (Minh Tuyet flashed a huge smile) but...(her smile disappeared) it seems you held your end of your bargain and I don't think you are ready for a contract renewal"
Minh Tuyet sat there speechless, she couldn't believe what she was hearing. She felt so confident that she was going to stay in the company forever as promised by Mr. To after her first contract expires, but now she feels as if she had just lost her job"
"Um...excuse me, but why? I've done nothing but great things for this company"
"I know. You're past three albums are great but I feel it lacks raw emotion (Minh Tuyet was lost) I mean I felt your albums are too safe, too bubble gum pop. I am going to lead the company into a new direction. I want to produce more "real" music rather than music for instant profits. I hope you can understand."
Minh Tuyet only nodded her head. She got up slowly and walked out of the office without saying another word. It was like her entire career was crumpling in front of her—people were staring at her, some whispered to each other but she tried to keep her dignity as she walked out the building. In the car she burst into tears, music was her passion, her life, she sacrificed everything for it and now it's all taken away. The driver didn't want to say a word. He started the car and backed out of the parking lot. At the same time another vehicle entered the lot...

----------------------------

(Nhu Loan)
Nhu Loan got a call from the new C.E.O telling her that she wants to have a meeting to discuss her future plans for her career. She found out about Mr. To's death through a friend who works in Thuy Nga. Nhu Loan was feeling rather nervous when entering the office of Marie To. She looked around nervously, waiting for permission to take a seat. Marie looked up from her papers
"Oh! Nhu Loan please have a seat! (she takes a seat) so, I guess you heard the news of my father's death right?"
"Yes, and I am so sorry to hear-"
"Don't be, I moved on and I've been through so many meetings, so let's just get over with it"
"Oh"
"Well first off, I am Marie To, and I am taking my father's place as C.E.O. I would also like to congratulate your success on your album, it's sold pretty well...(she looks at the charts) reached number in just 2 weeks!"
"Why thank you"
"but I feel the sales aren't high enough, I know you can do better which is why I'm sending you off on a tour"
"Uh..uh...uh...a tour? but I just moved in, can't I have sometime to kick back a little bit?"
"Honey, you don't get breaks and when I tell you to work, you work, no questions besides every time you take one of these-so-called "breaks" you end up on the front cover of tabloids!"
"Uh...any publicity is good publicity?"
"NO! I already made a schedule for you to meet with your crew who will be helping you with the show, you'll meet the director, costume designer, and stage manager to discuss about what you want"
"I want some time off! And how am I going to make it to the Paris by Night shows?"
”I've already got that covered, your appointments would be scheduled to fit the show's schedule, so you'll have plenty of time to rehearse and be available for the taping."
Nhu Loan wanted to say something but was interrupted by the phone ringing. Marie picked it up and after a few minutes of talking, she hung up and informed Nhu Loan that she had to go to meet with the Paris by Night crew. Both of them got up and left at the same time.

Nhu Loan walked to her car. She was angry at the new C.E.O, "Mr. To never pushed me that hard!" she thought to herself. She was planning on going on a vacation with her boyfriend before the next Paris by Night show but now she had to cancel that. She dug into her purse and pulled out her cell phone. She punched the numbers with great force and held it to her ear. He didn't respond but instead there was a message, so she waited after the beep:
"Hey Honey, I'm sorry but I have to cancel our trip, yes I know but I just found out I have to work"
She hanged up the phone and got into her car—today was not her day.